One of the challenges of dog-ownership is traveling with your doggy companion. There are issues when traveling with any breed, but Boston Terriers come with their own set of special needs that need to be addressed when taking long road trips. There are many methods, many tools, methods and techniques used to manage traveling by car with your Boston Terrier. Some work better than others. Now how is it possible to obtain the best results?
Understanding and preparation is certainly the key. In the same way, the real key to getting good results with traveling with your Boston Terrier is much more know-how about what works and being properly prepared before you travel.
Here are 5 tips for smooth car travel with your Boston Terrier:
1. Take your Boston on a long walk before getting in the car.Just why is this important? Boston Terriers are energetic by nature, and can get bored and moody when they have to be still for too long. This is compounded if they haven’t had a chance for a proper “restroom” break (which you know means several, if you already own a Boston). Make sure you friend has time to run around and do his or her business right before a long car trip.. And exactly what comes about when you follow this advice? You can be sure your Boston will be contented sleeping for a long portion of the trip, and will be comfortable until your first scheduled rest stop..
2. Bring a dish full of ice instead of a bowl of water. Water has a tendency to spill during a car ride, but it’s absolutely necessary that your Boston have access to fresh cool drinking water at all times, particularly if you’re traveling during the summer months. The ice actually helps because Boston Terriers are Brachycephalic (meaning they have a short snout) and are very susceptible to overheating. The cold water will help your pet regulate their body temperature on a hot day.
Recommended Travel Water Bowls
3. Place shades in the car windows. Once again, the main reason behind this is the Boston Terrier’s intolerance to heat. While you may notice your friend gravitates to sunbeams on the living room floor, it’s very important that they have somewhere shady to lay down.. It is also a good idea because Boston’s have very fine coats and are at risk of serious sunburn if exposed to direct sun for too long.
4. Have a comfy car bed. And why is this a good idea? Car seats are shaped for comfort of the the human buttocks, not for the comfort of our canine friends. With seatbelts sticking out and stitching in strange places they can be very uncomfortable for your dog on a long journey.. Any other reason? Depending on the color of your car interior, the seats (and seatbelts) can get very hot – hot enough to burn your Boston. Having a special bed for your doggy eliminates this risk.
Recommended Dog Car Booster Seats
5. Take breaks every 2 – 3 hours. And this will be important because of what? Just like people, dogs need to take a rest break every so often. On a long drive your Boston can become just as uncomfortable and restless as you can. What other significant reasons are there? It’s not healthy or comfortable for your dog to “hold it” for long periods of time. If you notice your dog is drinking a lot of the ice water you have provided you may need to stop more often. A good indicator? If you need to go, they probably do too.
One final word of advice: Never leave your Boston Terrier in the car on a warm or sunny day. Even on a cool day, the temperature inside a car can rise 30 degrees in less than 15 minutes, which can have deadly consequences for your traveling pet.
When you follow these 5 tips carefully you should expect to have a happy, comfortable adventure when road-tripping with your boston terrier. source
More Tips for Traveling With Your Boston Terrier:
Get More Tips, Best Dog Booster Cat Seats and More at the Links Below…
Snoozer Lookout Car Seat
Snoozer Lookout Travel Rack
Dog Car Seats-Small Dogs
Best Console Dog Car Booster Seat
Dog Car Sick Cure
Dog Booster Car Seat Installation
Dog Car Seat Harness Info
Dog Car Harness Reviews
Snoozer Pet Car Seat and Dog Bed
Doggie Car Seats
Snoozer Dog Booster Car Seat Reviews
Dog Travel Safety Tips
More Pet Car Booster Seats and Reviews